Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Race in South Africa: Black viewpoint


Race in South Africa: Black viewpoint
Nomvula Ndlovu Retired nurse, Dukathole township
I lived through apartheid and I survived it. After democracy I was expecting to live a comfortable life with my children, I just never thought that I'd be poorer now than I was.

Yes racism still exists and we are faced with it from time to time, but today's oppression is from our own black government. I live in an old shack and have applied for a house numerous times but in vain. Every election the ANC visit our shacks and make us all sorts of promises about getting us houses, they even provide us with food parcels - all to get support and then they disappear until the next election season.
Both my daughter and I live on my pensioner's grant of 1,200 rand ($130; £80). We are forced to beg for food from neighbours every month because the grant does not even cover a week's worth of food.
My daughter passed her matric in 2005 and has not been able to find a job despite her good grades. I never imagined I would be facing such hardships at my age, especially not from a government led by people who are black like me.
(BBC News)

No comments:

Post a Comment